Each year Surrey Choices celebrates Learning Disability Week, hosted by Mencap. Learning Disability Week is a great way to raise the awareness of learning disability across the UK.
This year the week is taking place from Monday 15 June – Sunday 21 June and the theme of the week is “The importance of friendships during lockdown”. Surrey Choices staff continue to keep in regular contact with the people they support and their wellbeing is paramount especially in these times.
We would like you to help us get involved in Learning Disability Week by supporting our colleague Kelly Morris, Senior Activity Facilitator at Ashford Office Project. Kelly is taking on a charity cycle and all money raised will go to Surrey Choices’ Local Charity of The Year, Mind Woking and Surrey.
Kelly will be doing a charity cycle to visit all 17 people who she supports who would normally attend The Ashford office Project and have been staying safe at home due to the Coronavirus. Some live in her local area in Surrey and some live further away. This charity cycle is a way to:
- Check in on the wellbeing of the people Kelly supports
- Spend time looking after her own wellbeing as exercise plays an important role in making us feel better
Throughout the Learning Disability Week, Kelly will:
- Be visiting the people she supports by cycling to their home
- Asking them to write on a post note their thoughts and comments about lockdown and Learning Disability Week
At the end of the week, Surrey Choices will say:
- How far Kelly cycled
- How much she raised for Mind Woking and Surrey
- What was on the sticky notes from those she visited and collected throughout the week
If you would like to sponsor Kelly, you can donate through the Surrey Choices fundraising page for Mind, Woking and Surrey: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/surrey-choices