As part of Surrey Choices’ Digital Inclusion Strategy, we have been finding out what the barriers are to IT for the people we support and the people they share their homes with. We have been working to overcome those barriers by our input and signposting to other support long-term and prioritising those people who live at home alone or with their families to reduce isolation.
To support this strategy we now have Digitisers across Surrey Choices. These are colleagues who will enable the people we support to not only have access to technology, but to feel safe and confident using different devices and being online.
What can the Digitisers help with?
- Advising the people we support on what types of IT they might want to buy for their needs
- Setting up a tablet or computer so that they can keep it touch with friends, families and Surrey Choices
- Provide short-term internet access for example, a sim card for a device if they do not have it in their home now
- Offer some short-term support as people start to use their kit including:
- Socially distanced visits
- Telephone help
Here are some of the ways the Digitisers have been supporting people:
- Help with joining our Digital Choices Live and Video online sessions
- Online support to be able to search for jobs
- Teaching people how to connect with their friends and families no matter how far away they are
- Helping people to download apps
- Supporting people to learn new skills like sending an email or using WhatsApp
- Helping people to get Wi-Fi installed in their house
As a result of the Coronavirus Pandemic the people we support have been keeping safe at home. In order to enable them to continue learning Independent Living and Life Skills, offer Employment, Volunteering and Vocational Learning, continue looking after their Health and Wellbeing and help keep them connected to their Friends, other Relationships and their Community, Surrey Choices launched Digital Choices; an online sessions platform which you can read more about here.
Take a look at our case studies
The Digitisers have been hard at work over the last few weeks, supporting over 30 people through socially distanced visits or online help to get online and keep connected. Click here to see our case studies.
Remember, you can keep up to date with all of our stories on social media: