Why do I need Shared Lives?
There might be lots of reasons why you need to find somewhere to live. You may find it too difficult to live in your current home, or you might have to move out of a residential home. You might have elderly carers now, or be helping to care for someone else and need a break.
We can help you to find a home that is safe and supportive, and where you can live more independently in your local community.
How can Shared Lives help me?
If the things in this list are important to you, Shared Lives can help:
- Being part of a family
- Living in your local community
- Learning new skills so you can look after yourself as much as possible
- Having privacy
- Being treated honestly and with respect
- Making your own choices and decisions
- Enjoying new activities and meeting new people
Where will I live?
We have people who would like to welcome you to their home. We’ve talked to them to find out about their lives, their home and how much time they have.
We’ll talk to you so that we know what sort of things you like – and what you don’t like. We’ll match you with a Shared Lives carer who we think will be able to support you.
We don’t know exactly how long it will take to find a home that’s just right for you, but we’ll keep you up-to-date all the time, so that you know what’s happening.
What do I do next?
If you would like us to help you find a Shared Lives carer, you can register with us here, or someone can help you to register. We will get in touch to see how we can help.
A Shared Lives carer will offer you:
- A safe, supportive home
- Support for independence and choice
- A comfortable living environment
- Help with learning new skills
- Support with activities and learning experiences
- Involvement with the local community